Sensory evaluation is a scientific discipline that analyses and measures human responses to the composition of food and drink, e.g. appearance, touch, odour, texture, temperature and taste. In the business, it provides an ideal opportunity for entrepreneur and customer to evaluate and give feedback on their dishes, test products and experimental designs.
Sensory evaluation can be used to:
- compare similarities/differences in a range of dishes/products;
- evaluate a range of existing dishes/food products;
- analyse food samples for improvements;
- gauge responses to a dish/product, e.g. acceptable v unacceptable;
- explore specific characteristics of an ingredient or dish/food product;
- check whether a final dish/food product meets its original specification;
- provide objective and subjective feedback data to enable informed decisions to be made.
Sensory Evaluation is a scientific discipline used to evoke, measure, analyze, and interpret reactions to the characteristics of food and materials as they are perceived by the senses of sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing.